Finished Object-Monkey Socks

These socks were a lot of fun to knit. The yarn was a dream to knit with, Madeline Tosh Sock in the Black Velvet colorway. The pattern was really interesting but easy enough to memorize after finishing one repeat of the pattern. So yeah that’s it right?

DSC_0211

 

WRONG! Can anyone tell me what’s wrong with this picture? (Other than hubby is wearing women’s socks?)

 

DSC_0209

Yeah I made them two different lengths on the leg. I flew through the first sock had it done in a couple days. I immediately cast on the second sock as to avoid the dreaded “second sock syndrome” and started knitting merrily away. I brought the second sock on a road trip to Georgia and knit and knit. I counted the number of repeats on the first sock and then counted how many I had on the second sock and some how came up with the same number. I think it’s pretty clear that I missed an entire repeat of the pattern on that second leg.

You’re probably thinking well, by the time you noticed it must have been too late to go back and fix. That is completely accurate since I didn’t notice until I finished the second sock and put it next to the first one. I mean this thing was finished, toe grafted, ends sewn in, and ready to block. How is it possible to not notice something like that?

DSC_0191

The only thing I can think of is that the universe is trying to tell me something. When I originally cast these socks on they were intended for my own feet. I don’t often knit for myself because by the end of the process I’ve figured out that I don’t really like it, it doesn’t fit the way I wanted, or (and most often) there is someone else out there more deserving. I think this was the universe’s way of making sure I kept these socks. I can’t give them away because they are uneven and there is really no way I’m ripping out a whole sock to fix that missing pattern. Hurray for hand-knit socks!

 

 

Pattern: Monkey by Cookie A

Yarn: Madeline Tosh Sockin Black Velvet

Mods: Other than the unintentional mod of making them uneven the only thing I changed was the heel. Knitting the heal as written caused a rectangle for the heel flap. I didn’t do as many rows on the heel flap and it turned out fine. I think I ended up a stitch or two short on the gusset stitches but it wasn’t noticeable to me when I tried them on or to my hubby when he was modeling.

Thoughts: I loved this yarn and the pattern was interesting. I will definitely be checking out more of her patterns and more of this yarn as soon as I can find some on sale!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s